Sunday, January 13, 2013

Feliway Helps Stop Behavioral Urination Problems in Cats

There are many reasons why cats do not use their litter box. Some of the common cases are:
  • Urinary tract infection
  • Type of litter the cat does not like
  • Dirty litter box
  • Cat not neutered
  • Too many cats, not enough litterboxes
  • Bad choice of placement for the litterbox
  • Declawing
  • and so forth.

One of the other reasons why a cat might not use its litter box for urine is behavioral. Cats, as laid back as they look, are actually fairly high strung, and sensitive. They often suffer from anxiety issues and stress. 

Cats can be stressed by many things; a new baby, new house, chaos in the home, or even other cats hanging around.

Feliway is a product made for cats with stress related concerns, or those who spray to mark territory. It has been proven to help reduce urination around them home as when brought about by stress or normal marking behavior sometimes seen in cats that are fixed (not other problems) and has also been shown to reduce clawing and scratching. 


How Does Feliway Work?


Feliway mimics a cat's pheromones (scent hormones) to calm them. When a cat is calm it does not feel as much of a need to mark its territory with urine (yes female cats do this too, even neutered males). It is a spray that is applied after cleaning any urine soaked areas.

Humans cannot smell Feliway but cats can. Feliway encourages a cat to rub its face on the areas that have been sprayed, in this way the cat puts its scent in areas so will not feel the need to spray those areas. It is important that owners do not wipe clean the area after the cat has wiped its face there.

Typically after a month's use, Feliway has shown a 95% success rate. It should be sprayed once or twice daily to problem areas. Feliway is never sprayed directly on the cat.

To calm a cat before a trip, spray the carrier the night before you take the cat in it. Leave the carrier open so the cat can go in. Give another spray just prior to putting your cat in the carrier. In an emergency situation where you cannot spray the carrier the night before, one spray just before putting the cat in is still effective to help calm the kitty. 

Feliway Spray 75 ml Feliway Spray 75 ml
Feliway spray is an effective medication to prevent urine marking and scratching and also control stress related behavior in cats. This pet care product prevents cats from urinating where they shouldn't by duplicating the smell of a cat's natural scent glands. Feliway mimics the feline facial pheromone, which have a general calming effect which helps neutralize the urge to urine mark.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! I really like the candle idea but I'm afraid we're a little old for it now... :o) We also have a bearded dragon on our little "farm". Enjoy him! Thanks for reading my Greenhouse post!
    bearded dragon accessories

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

    My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked. He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at.

    It wasn't until I found NoMoreCatPee.com that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior.

    Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

    I've placed a link to their website above if you're interested in checking them out. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete